Saturday 20 June 2015

My black hair secret with a bit of shabby chic

I've had one or two comments about my colouring :)
So I though I'd shared with you some photo stages of how I colour black hair with Copics and Biro.

I've never been taught or shown so I don't know if this is the right way - it's just my way.

The image I've used here is from Ching-Chou Kuik - Boston Terrier

Hair coloured all over with N3
Some darker patches added to start adding shadow with N5



Blended the shading with my N3

Adding some darker shading with N7

Then blended with the N5

To add some highlights to the dark hair I use a N0.  This takes some of the all over smoothness out and leaves it looking a little patchy.

Finally starting to use the biro to add in some shading and hair strands, you can see this on the right hand side of the picture


Left side now finished off with the biro.  I may have to make a video to show more detail of the blending and biro - bit to be quite honest the thought scares me to death :)


There's a slight difference in the colour of the photos here.  All the ones above were taken at work and the next couple were taken at home in artificial light.  Anyway this is the completed image.

So what I did to make the card up.  Cut out the image with a Spcllbinders die.  Cut out some black card with another Spellbinders die then mounted the image onto it.
Apart from some more black card the design papers are from Lili of the Valley and Joy Crafts.  
Tim Holtz distress ink.  
From Live and Love Crafts beautiful lace, a heart hanger, a resin tiny frame, a resin corner embellishment, a clay heart, some Kort & Godt hortensias.
The Ribbon Girl a pearlised pin.
Wild Orchid Crafts some roses and rose bud and some organza rose trim.
To add to the "shabby" I've added some white gesso.
Hope you like little piece of shabbyness :)
Andrea x

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges
Fab n Funky - Gorgeous Girls
Papertake Weekly - Ohh So Pretty
Through the Craft Room Door - Anything Goes
Fairytale Stampers - Anything Goes
In the Pink - Summer
Paradise of Stamps - Many Flowers or Fruits


14 comments:

Marianne's Craftroom said...

Beautiful card. I am always interested in the different ways people colour

Alison said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Andrea!! I love this image, your card design and all the pretty embellies. I'll have a go at colouring hair, using your tips, as I need all the help I can get with that. Thank you for joining in our Gorgeous Girls challenge at Fab'n Funky.
Alison x

Vickie Y said...

Beautiful image and card; your coloring is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing with us at Sparkles Monthly Challenge.

Penny Duncan said...

Absolutely STUNNING!!!! Love your coloring!!!

Sheila said...

Beautiful card. I love how you do your posts explaining the steps. Helps a lot. X

Marjeta said...

Gorgeous. Want to practice right now.

Marjeta

Cazro said...

Stunning, awesome colouring skills. A Wow card. Thanks for joining us at Sparkles Monthly. Caz

Jan said...

This is fabulous!
Thank you for joining us this month at Fab N Funky! xx Jan Dt

Christine L said...

A gorgeous card with a fabulous design and lovely colouring! Thanks for sharing with us at In The Pink - hope to see you again soon!

Christine (aka Rizzo!)

Lori Kobular said...

Beautiful card, image and coloring! I think it looks perfect! Thanks for sharing how you got to the finished product! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenge #20!

Kym's Crafty Cards said...

Andrea, a beautiful stunning card you have made here which fits perfectly the Ching-Chou Kuik Digital Stamps Inspiration and Challenge Blog Monthly Challenge this month of “all creatures great and small”. Lovely that you have added a hair tutorial as well. Even more FANTASTIC is that you have used one of Ching-Chou Kuik's digital stamps. Don’t forget you are entitled to two entries into the monthly Blog Challenge draw as you have used a Ching-Chou Kuik image. For the first entry link to the card/creation you have created. For your second entry just link to your main blog.

Thank you for entering, best wishes in the draw and for your support of this challenge. Kym (Ching-Chou Kuik Digital Stamps Design Team Leader).

PS If you would like to be a future Guest Design Team Member please make sure you add “GDT” after your name on your entry for the challenge or write a comment in the comment box.

Anne Temple said...

Amazing card and coloring of the image. Thanks for the tutorial on how you colored her hair. So glad you shared it with us for the Scrapy Land Challenge.

Patricia St Martin said...

Thanks for the tutorial on coloring hair. Your card is gorgeous. Fabulous ideas and great inspiration.
Hugz from Wisconsin, Patricia
Scrapy Land Store
rubber stamping is my game blog


Helen said...

Great card - thanks for joining us at Sparkles.

Helen x